I Don't Know Power

Happy Tuesday!

I Don't Know Power





I don't know is the slayer of false hope. I am at ease during this pandemic because I have lived my entire life getting to know I don't know.

Do you have regrets? Perhaps in a crisis many of us reflect on what we could've done better and land on some conclusion of regret.

I am not religious. I am anti-theist. However, I have studied Eastern philosophy associated with Eastern religions and find the harmony oriented morality far superior to the transformation morality of western religions.

Regret, jealousy and other negative emotions in Eastern philosophy are taught to have no positive use and so we train ourselves to overcome them.

If I had one regret though it could be this: I have not been outspoken enough about the power of I don't know slaying false hope like that of miracle cures. I don't know also dampens panic where I do not emotionally invest in information, rather I accept it without emotion. I don't know how this universe was created. I don't know how the coronavirus started, I do know what's been reported. That's the power of I don't know.

There is a religious myth common to most religions. That myth is that everyone feels a strong emotional compelling need to answer the big questions. Who are we? Where did we come from? How did we get here? What is my purpose? Who created the universe?

This myth is no more true than the myth that all men are attracted to women and vice-a-versa. Emotional compulsions such as with opposite-sex attraction or big questions may very well affect large portions of the population, but they do not affect everyone.

I have no big question compulsion. I started with I don't know and I'm still there. I'm doing just fine.

I look around me everyday and see a world of chaos where there are so many things I don't know. I only see small islands of control where we can find some safe harbor.

I am at ease during this pandemic because I've lived my entire life with I don't know. Things happen that I can't explain and still I go about my life tracking on what I do know. Fear of the unknown and fear of chaos is a moment-by-moment reality awareness for those who accept the unknown as unknown.

I have learned to manage fears through Eastern practices such as  walking, exercise, meditation, and acceptance. I accept that which causes fear and dispel the fear.

Acceptance is about more than just fear. Acceptance is about things over which we have no control, such as we are all going to die. I have had one near-death experience in my life. I was in my thirty's and many years into my Eastern philosophy training of acceptance. This acceptance was put to the test one day when I was in a head-on collision. I was sitting at an intersection making a left-hand turn onto El Camino Real in Palo Alto. I had a concrete island to my left, a car to my right, and a car behind. I literally had nowhere to go. The light turned green and at that same time a speeding driver came careening at me as the driver lost control making a left turn on red. My car was hit in the left fender and my car only dealt a glancing blow. The only damage was a lost head light and fender. Still, I felt in that moment I was going to die. After the intitial shock I realized that I was at peace because I had been practicing being a peace for years. Practice.

I have also been mugged twice at gun point and again after the initial shock of the incident I benefited greatly from acceptance practice and accepted what happened with peace. Overcoming fear requires preparation.

I live in a universe full of I don't know. I practice acceptance in order to not be afraid. I need no false hope. I do not want to be controlled by fear.

Prayer is false hope. As such prayer is a fear amplifier. Prayer makes things worse because for whatever temporary relief prayer may provide the false hope always evaporates and leaves even more fear because the prayer failed.

I feel I was born naturally as "I don't know"  in my mind because so many people do seem to have a compelling desire to have answers to the big questions.

Acceptance also slays regrets. If I had a regret it would be this: taking acceptance for granted. People often ask how atheists would respond to death. How do atheists console the grieving? My answer is acceptance as practiced by Eastern philosophy.  Just like the best response to disaster is preparation ahead of time then the best response to death is preparation ahead of time. Acceptance is not all that is needed to deal with grief but acceptance can overcome fear of unknown; wandering if one will ever see their loved ones again. I don't know.

Acceptance requires practice each and every day because so much of life is uncertain and chaos. Thus it is that the pandemic is not an emotional change for me. I accept things that are unknown everyday, large and small. I admit that which I do not understand. It's okay. I would never console myself with some fantasy of seeing loved ones again because that is not acceptance that they are dead and I don't know anything else. 

I don't have regrets because regret is a negative emotion with that yields no positive end. Regret is pain only. Therefore I choose to overcome it with acceptance.  But I can say I take my acceptance that I practice each day perhaps a little too much for granted. Because of this perhaps I do not openly advocate acceptance openly enough.

False hope is no hope. Prayer is false hope unless prayer is practiced as acceptance. Even then prayer acceptance is contingent on on false higher power and not focused on well being.

Western and Eastern philosophy both have things I practice in my life. However, my examination of Western philosophy is it is mostly harmful to the mind and I practice very little western philosophy. Eastern philosophy when stripped of the supernatural and traditions is about exercise and practice such as with meditation. Further, Eastern philosophy has no one path or one set way. You must find your path. Meditation may or may not work for. If not then try another path, another practice. Western philosophy only offers one size fits all.

In this time of Pandemic I offer to you the recommendation to explore harmony oriented philosophy and specifically the concept of acceptance in the face of the unknown. Know the power of "I don't know" as the power of acceptance of the unknown and chaos.

We all know fear. However, we do not all know the power of acceptance of the unknown which starts with I don't know. I don't know where the dead are or if the are. However, I do practice daily acceptance and prepare for death where I don't know. This is how I deal with grief, I prepare and I do not rely on false hope of some after-life nor with some miracle cure in the here and now.

I have no regrets but if I did then it might be taking the power of "I don't know" and its derived power of acceptance for granted, perhaps because I have  practiced both daily for so many years.

Join an MGO today!

You can learn more about Irreni World Scale by visiting:

https://irreni.blogspot.com/p/join.html

Cheers!

Benefit of cooperation replaces rule of law!

Freethinkers unite!

Freedom!

Party On!

Let's get cracking!

Voluntarily Reject Demagoguery!

Politics as Science!

Demand Irreni World Scale!

Anti-theism is feminism!  

Think disruption!

Empathy for all!

Moral relativity: think it, breath it!

Prove it or lose it!

Conversations equal consensus! 

Welcome to the 21st century!

Scale your empathy, scale the world! 

Find your tribe!

Be sexy people!

The future is coming! 

Innovate at a rapid pace!

Slow speed ahead!

Well come! and well met!



 












Comments

Explore

You Need To Start Making Political Decisions

Love, Hard Work Book Draft: Introduction

Irreni Manages Bad Reasoning

No Secret Ballots, Public Voting

The Amercian Anthem: Drawing Cartoons of Muhammed

Introduction to the book "Irreni World Scale"

How To Scale, 101

The Intelligentsia Problem

Kavanaugh Debrief

Love, Hard Work Book Draft: Chapter 1